If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you want to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner to come to Canada, you can apply for a Canadian Spouse Visa. This visa allows your spouse or partner to live and work in Canada while the application for permanent residency is being processed. Here are the steps to apply for a Canadian Spouse Visa:
- Determine your eligibility: Before you begin the application process, you need to make sure that you are eligible to sponsor your spouse or partner. To be eligible, you must be at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.
- Gather the required documents: You will need to gather a variety of documents to support your application, including proof of your Canadian citizenship or permanent residency, your marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship, and proof of financial support.
- Submit your application: Once you have gathered all of the required documents, you can submit your application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The application will include forms for both the sponsor and the applicant, as well as all of the supporting documents.
- Wait for processing: The processing time for a Canadian Spouse Visa can vary, but it typically takes several months. During this time, the IRCC will review your application and may request additional information or documents.
- Attend an interview: In some cases, the IRCC may require an interview with the applicant to further assess their eligibility for the visa.
- Receive a decision: Once your application has been processed, you will receive a decision from the IRCC. If your application is approved, your spouse or partner will receive a Canadian Spouse Visa and will be able to enter Canada. Once they arrive, they will be able to apply for permanent residency.
It’s important to note that the process for applying for a Canadian Spouse Visa can be complex, and there are many factors that can impact the success of your application. It’s a good idea to consult with an immigration lawyer or a qualified immigration consultant to help you navigate the process and increase your chances of success.